|Specialized skills, services and experience
- Diverse clientele including private schools, special act school district, social services, United Way, educational opportunity, affordable housing, mental health agency, and private foundations
- All types of attest engagements including audit, review & compilation
- Regulatory filings including state CFRs (Consolidated Fiscal Report)
- Fund accounting implementation
- Software selection and employee training
- Expert knowledge in a variety of industry specific software including Fund EZ, Blackbaud, and Quickbooks Not-For-Profit edition
- Applications for tax exemption
- Foundation trustee
- Accounting system conversion to GAAP
- Assist applicants of low income housing tax credits
- Interim Director of Finance and Operations "DFO" services
We have served numerous not-for-profit organizations for over 40 years, including an organization with an asset base of over $100 million. Our firm was instrumental in assisting one organization's non-profit spin-offs, including a Special Act School District, and Educational / Business Opportunity Agencies.
We have advised Boards of Trustees and management in the areas of audit findings, internal control systems, financial decision making and reporting, budget preparation, risk assessment, disaster recovery, and legal compliance issues. We have set up internal financial systems and accounting software programs, including restructuring the chart of accounts, designing GAAP-based financial statement reporting templates, and monthly budget/actual variance reports. We have acted as liaison on critical issues, such as obtaining Medicare certification for a large not-for-profit service provider, merger of unrelated non-profit organizations, negotiations with NYS Department of Education for increased reimbursement rates, negotiations with NYS Department of Social Services for maximum reimbursement rates for on-campus student housing, and negotiations of union labor contracts. We have prepared and obtained IRS approvals for exempt 501(c)(3) designation as well as for shifting from non-operating to operating foundation status. We have expert knowledge in many not-for-profit accounting software including QuickBooks Not-for-Profit edition, Fund EZ and Blackbaud.